The first record of Spondon Cricket Club was in 1883 when the club played nearby Alvaston and unfortunately lost. Initially two clubs, the amalgamated in 1903 and moved to a ground on Royal Hill Road. The club decided to buy the ground when the opportunity arose in 1924, however it took a further 21 years to pay off the club's debt. The fundraising process included dances, whist drives and special matches, all organised by the hard working 'Ladies' Committee', chiefly comprised of Mrs Benniston, Mrs Dally and Mrs Walker-Smith. The ladies were rewarded for their hard work by being made life members as the club celebrated 50 years at Royal Hill Road.
The club had a 'golden age' in the 1960s with 16 trophies returning to Royal Hill Road between 1962-72. The ground was further improved as a new pavilion was opened in 1970 by Brian Clough and a match between Derby County football team and Spondon CC. The club continued to thrive but eventually outgrew Royal Hill Road which was not big enough to play premier league cricket, or house the growing junior section and 3rd and 4th teams! The club took the plunge and moved to nearby Locko Road in 2006, winning the Derbyshire Premier League the very next year. The club continues to thrive, with four senior teams, over 150 in the junior section and a thriving girls' section.